Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
January 6, 2020
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte, Road Crew Foreman Mark Gretebeck and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of December 16, 2019. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $55,604.13. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
5. Public Comment: Chairman Monsen questioned whether the Town can claim the park on Pleasant View as owned by the Town because it has been maintaining it for 60 years. The Clerk will review the communication from Attorney Behling and forward it to the Board.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
8. Road Crew: Gretebeck advised the road crew has been cutting trees and had issues with the saw. A new saw had to be purchased.
9. Constable Report: None.
10. Complaints: None.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Paul Tyler Culvert issues.
Paul Tyler, Ginny and Merle Skjolaas and Dale Beske attended the last meeting. At the previous meeting, Supervisor Olson recommended an engineer or the DNR be consulted to determine if there are issues with the culvert. Mr. Tyler has spoken with Eric from the DNR who will look at the culvert. Gretebeck advised the County previously assisted in properly sizing the culvert. His position is the ditch going to the east is tree filled and water logged. Lowering the culvert by a foot will not solve the problem if they do not grade the ditches. In addition, we have had the two wettest years in a long time. There is high water standing in many fields. Chairman Monsen recommended the Town meet with Eric from the DNR to learn what services and programming the DNR has for assisting in culvert and ditch work. Chairman Monsen will contact Eric from the DNR.
b. Discussion and necessary action on display case for historical
documents. Gretebeck advised the Town Hall is a metal building and there are no 2x4’s to connect the case to. Bothum was going to speak with Steve Felio and Supervisor Jenks will speak with Eric Veium to determine how it would be installed.
c. Discussion and necessary on appointment of rural preservation
committee. Supervisor Jenks stated residents have until January 20th to submit their names. Chairman Monsen stated the Board needs to meet with Groundswell to discuss the legal paperwork, implementing the preservation easement and costs associated with their work. Interviews should be scheduled for the second week of February. These meetings will be scheduled at the next meeting.
d. Discussion and necessary action on broadband access for the
Town. No action taken.
e. Discussion and necessary on EMS Agreement with the City of
Stoughton. This is on the City of Stoughton’s agenda for January 14, 2020. No action taken.
12. New Business:
13. Future Agenda Items. Updating/remodeling the Town Hall. Scheduling a meeting with City of Stoughton Mayor Swadley.
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:52 p.m. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for January 6, 2020 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report