Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
January 20, 2020
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte, Road Crew Member John Bothum and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge was led by Constable Greg Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of January 6, 2020. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $118,773.51 (incl. partial payment of new truck). Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: (1) Jeanne Schwass-Long was in attendance to give her Commission on Aging report. Jeanne attended the Madrigal Dinner at the Senior Center. The cost is $8 and the meal and entertainment is wonderful. Amy Lambright-Murphy was introduced as the new volunteer coordinator. She will also be coordinating the RSVP rides. Rutland forgot to budget for Senior Center contributions. McFarland and Oregon Senior Centers bill their Towns for services. Stoughton is looking into doing the same.
6. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Road Crew: They are plowing snow and trimming trees when they aren’t plowing. The engine light keeps coming on the tractor. Ritchie will diagnose the problems.
8. Constable Report: (1) Holte received a dog complaint on January 13, 2020. Holte met with the owner and advised the dogs need to be contained. He returned on the 17th and on the 20th due to additional complaints. (2) Supervisor Jenks checked on pricing for shoulder patches. It would be cheaper in larger quantities.
9. Plan Commission Report. The Plan Commission held its annual Land Use Plan meeting. The only thing brought forward was the opportunity to amend the Plan if it is needed for the PDR program.
10. Complaints: None.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Paul Tyler culvert issues. A
meeting was scheduled with Eric from the DNR for Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
b. Discussion and necessary action on display case for historical
documents. No action taken.
c. Discussion and necessary action on appointment of rural
preservation committee. No additional volunteers have submitted their names. Before appointing a committee, a meeting needs to take place with Groundswell and Renee Lauber. Chairman Monsen will speak with Renee to schedule a meeting.
d. Discussion and necessary action on broadband access for the
Town. The Clerk obtained information from Dane County Towns on John Hallick and his success at Black Earth. The information was forwarded to Bryan Smith for his review.
e. Discussion and necessary action on EMS Agreement with the City
of Stoughton. The City was to discuss this item at their meeting on January 14th. We have not been contacted by the City. Attorney Behling did review the agreement and forwarded her recommendations. The Clerk will contact the City to see if we can meet with the EMS Director and Finance Director.
12. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on remodeling/updating the town
hall. Chairman Monsen stated the Town Hall was built in early 60’s. It has the original paneling. The ceiling is extremely deteriorated and the last ballast was used for the light fixtures. Supervisor Olson recommended we obtain bids to install new ceiling tiles and lighting.
b. Discussion and necessary action on scheduling a meeting with
Mayor Swadley at the City of Stoughton. The Clerk will check with Mayor Swadley to see if he, the Finance Director, EMS Director are available on Tuesday, January 28 or February 4 at 1:00 p.m.
13. Future Agenda Items.
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for January 20, 2020 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report