Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
May 4, 2020
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte, Road Crew member John Bothum, and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 20, 2020. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $53,648.59. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: None.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Chairman Monsen stated Dane County approved municipalities to defer tax receipts until October. Treasurer Smithback stated the monies in our accounts will carry us until tax payments are received. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
8. Road Crew: They have been on with the Town hall remodel, mowing parks and shouldering.
9. Constable Report: (1) Youth have been driving through fields and discussions were had with Dane County Sheriff Deputies. (2) He responded to a loud music complaint on Highway 138 and ask the offenders to lower the volume. (3) The Hammis property continues to be problematic. Holte has a call into Scott Schroeckenthaler at Dane County Zoning but has not had a response.
10. Complaints: (1) A resident at 1800 US Highway 51 is complaining about dog barking at the Schmidt property at 909 US Highway 51. Deputy Jim Nisius has looked into the complaint a number of times. The dogs bark when people walk by and eventually stop. The problem is the complaining resident works at night and is trying to sleep during the day. The complainant also believes there may be a problem with the location of the fence. Constable Holte will view the fence and determine if it is located properly. (2) A resident complained about a rooster crowing at Fort Little Green. They are allowed chickens, including roosters, pursuant to their zoning and CUP. The Clerk spoke with Kate Dennis regarding the complaint. She currently has two roosters, but will be getting rid of one.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Tower Drive Culvert issues.
A letter was sent to AT&T but no response has been received. Todd from Dunn viewed the culvert and shot elevations. There is a drop on the one side and the standing water is an inch and a half below the culvert. He does not recommend lowering the culvert until the ditches can be cleaned. John Bothum will provide the documentation from Todd and the Road Crew to the Board.
b. Discussion and necessary action on display case for historical
documents. No action was taken. The remodel will be completed first.
c. Discussion and necessary on appointment of rural preservation
committee. No action taken until the Safer at Home Order is lifted.
d. Discussion and necessary action on broadband access for the
Town. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to table the item. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
e. Discussion and necessary on EMS Agreement with the City of
Stoughton. The City is reviewing the changes the Attorney would like made and will get back to us shortly.
f. Discussion and necessary action on updating/remodeling the
Town Hall. The project is almost complete.
g. Discussion and necessary action on refinancing the current loan. The Clerk sent an email to the Board of Commissions regarding loan
h. Discussion and necessary action on resurfacing the Town Hall
floor. The Clerk received one bid in the amount of $969.00. John Bothum has attempted to obtain a second bid without success. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve spending $969.00 to resurface the Town Hall floor. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
12. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Town’s Annual Stormwater
Report. The Clerk provided the annual stormwater report. The Board approved the Clerk submitting the report.
13. Future Agenda Items. Town Hall rental policy update and rates.
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:48 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for May 4, 2020 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report