Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
June 1, 2020
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte, Road Crew Foreman Mark Gretebeck, and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of May 18, 2020. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $25,654.46. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: None.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
8. Road Crew: (1) Gretebeck reported they started hauling gravel for the Town of Rutland. (2) The Town’s road work is scheduled to begin the third week of June. The Town partnered with the Town of Rutland to rent a grader for road work. (3) There is a problem with water on Westchester. A resident installed a new driveway and culvert. The neighbor is complaining of ponding water in his lawn. The resident with the new driveway was instructed to clean out his ditch and improve water flow. (4) Chairman Monsen complimented the road crew on the repairs of Bass Lake Road.
9. Constable Report: Holte received a call from Ron Leikness asking about a driveway permit. Mr. Leikness lives on County Highway N, so it is a County matter. He was referred to Dane County Zoning.
10. Complaints: None.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Tower Drive Culvert issues.
The Board met with the Town of Dunn’s Road Patrol Foreman Todd Klahn and Town Road Crew member John Bothum at the culvert on May 21, 2020. Todd recommend removing the rock at the inlet, jetting water underneath to undercut the supporting material and allow the culvert to sink down, increasing the water flow. The Town of Dunn and Dunkirk will be performing this work after the road repairs for each Town are complete. Paul Tyler requested the Town take a transit reading before and after the culvert work is performed. Chairman Monsen stated Todd indicated the brush and debris upstream must be removed by Dale Beske. Paul Tyler agreed Dale Beske must remove the debris because it is silting in. Supervisor Jenks stated the culvert is only a portion of the problem and that is what the Town is responsible for and will be taking care of. Dale Beske will have to do his part as well.
b. Discussion and necessary on appointment of rural preservation
committee. The Board met to discuss the candidates for appointment on May 27, 2020. Chairman Monsen will contact each applicants and a couple more farmers from the Town, and formal appointments are expected to be made at the June 15, 2020 meeting.
c. Discussion and necessary on EMS Agreement with the City of
Stoughton. The City is reviewing the changes the Attorney would like made and will get back to us.
d. Discussion and necessary action on refinancing the current loan.
The Clerk sent an email to the Board of Commissions regarding loan and rates. We should have final numbers at the next meeting.
12. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Resolution No. 06-20-01
Waiving Interest on Property Tax Payment Installments Due on or After April 1, 2020. Wisconsin Towns prepared a draft Resolution for Towns to utilize. Tax payments will still need to be paid by July 31, 2020. However, this Resolution delays interest penalties until October 1, 2020. Treasurer Smithback reported on the Town’s finances, provided a report showing what was outstanding after July 31st for the past 11 years, and recommends approval of the Resolution. This Resolution only postpones interest and penalty, which is a relatively small amount. The County will make the Town whole for outstanding tax payments at the end of August. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve Resolution No. 06-20-01 Waiving Interest on Property Tax Payment Installments Due on or After April 1, 2020. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
13. Future Agenda Items. Town Hall rental policy update and rates.
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:55 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for June 1, 2020 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report