Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
September 8, 2020
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of August 17, 2020. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $154,242l.85. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: (1) The Clerk was contacted by a Town of Rutland resident who would like Old Stage Road designated as a rustic road. The Clerk instructed the woman to speak with the Town of Rutland first since they own the greatest portion of the road. (2) Laura Davis, the Chair of the Dunkirk Dam Lake District, is working with Dane County Parks to determine water quality and look into quality river access.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
8. Road Crew: (1) Seal coating of roads have been completed. Roads are being swept to finish the project. (2) Cold patching is being applied to roads. (3) Tires were switched on the trucks.
9. Constable Report: None.
10. Complaints: Chairman Monsen received a call from Eugene Friede who advised the house on the corner of N and Oak Lawn was just sold and the new owners are training attack dogs. Monsen recommended the members of the Board stop by to determine if the complaints are true.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary on Tower Drive Culvert. The Altemus
Possin Science Fund has filed a Notice of Claim. The matter was referred to our insurance company who has appointed Attorney Parmentier of DePere, WI. Information was sent to Attorney Parmentier and we are waiting to hear from him.
b. Discussion and necessary on City of Stoughton Mandt Park
decisions and supporting the Stoughton Jr. Fair. No action taken.
c. Discussion and necessary action on Stoughton Utilities billing. No action taken, as the Utilities Director has not responded to
Chairman Monsen’s voicemails.
d. Discussion and necessary action on scheduling a Rural
Preservation Committee meeting. No action taken.
12. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Rural Broadband Grant
Opportunities. Wisconsin Towns sent information on grant opportunities. Supervisor Olson recommended the information be sent to Bryan Smith. Supervisor Jenks questioned whether Dane County Towns would take any action on behalf of the Towns. Supervisor Olson stated the Towns must partner with a utility company and the grant would go directly to that provider. The Clerk will also reach out to the Towns of Pleasant Springs and Dunn.
b. Convene to closed session: Closed session for Purposes of
Conferring with Legal Counsel with Respect to Possible Litigation pursuant to sec. 19.85(1)(g), Wis. Stats., regarding replacement of culvert on Tower Road. No action taken, as the Board did not go into closed session.
c. Reconvene into open session immediately following closed
session. No action taken.
13. Future Agenda Items.
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:30 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for September 8, 2020 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report