Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
October 19, 2020, 2020
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of October 5, 2020. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $8,938.71. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: Beth Drew introduced herself as a candidate on the November 3rd ballot for Assembly District 43. She is a supervisor from the Town of Milton and has been voted onto the board in 2011. She holds a registered nursing degree and owns her own business in the City of Milton.
6. Clerk's Report: The Clerk advised she has issued 503 absentee ballots by mail and in-person absentee voting begins tomorrow. We have a fully staffed polling location and fortunately volunteers are still calling to assist.
7. Road Crew: None.
8. Constable Report: (1) Holte received another complaint about rat infestation on Taylor Lane/Aaker. He spoke with the resident and asked him to take care of the problem. (2) Holte spoke with Thayer Every regarding additional accumulation of junk at his property. Mr. Every is aware and will take measures to remove the additional vehicles, etc.
9. Plan Commission Report: The Plan Commission met and heard the Petition of Lisa Nelson, who was requesting a CUP for a hair salon. They approved the Petition unanimously with the conditions set forth by Dane County Zoning.
10. Complaints: None.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Cindy McGlynn from the Stoughton Area Senior Center will be in
attendance to discuss services and the 2021 budget. Ms. McGlynn was in attendance. The Senior Center serves the residents of Dunkirk with case management services, in addition to those provided by the Senior Center this year on line and by phone. Their main concern is making sure the residents are not too isolated, and are making sure they are getting food. The loan closet is still operating. Meals on Wheels is still operating in a COVID safe manner. As things are more expensive every year, the Senior Center would welcome additional funding from the Town.
b. Discussion and necessary on scheduling meeting with the Mayor
and Finance Director of the City of Stoughton. Chairman Monsen will contact the Mayor to determine a date and time.
12. New Business:
a. Lisa Nelson, 172 State Highway 138, Stoughton, WI, Dane County
Petition No. 02506, Conditional Use Permit for a limited family business – hair salon. Lisa Nelson was in attendance to request a Conditional Use Permit for a limited family business – hair salon. There have been multiple discussions regarding the capacity limit of septic system. Ms. Nelson was instructed to speak with the company who installed their septic to determine the best course of action. She will be resolving this issue prior to building the outbuilding and opening her hair salon. Ms. Nelson indicated they will not be building the outbuilding. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve Petition No. 02506, incorporating and Ms. Nelson meeting the 18 points of the Dane County Staff Report relevant standard conditions. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
b. Discussion and necessary action on items from the Fire & EMS
meeting with the City of Stoughton. The Fire & EMS meeting took place last week. The Draft 2021 budget was presented.
c. Convene to closed session: Closed session for Purposes of
Conferring with Legal Counsel with Respect to Possible Litigation pursuant to sec. 19.85(1)(g), Wis. Stats., regarding replacement of culvert on Tower Road. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to go into closed session at 7:38 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
d. Reconvene into open session immediately following closed
session. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to reconvene into open session at 7:43 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
e. Action on disallowance of Notice of Claim submitted by Altemus
Possin Science Fund, Inc. and Oris & Elaine A Possin Living Trust under Wis. Stat. 88.87. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to disallow the Notice of Claim submitted by Altemus Possion Science Fund, Inc. and Oris & Elain A Possin Living Trust under Wis. Stat. 88.87. Motion was seconded Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0. Dale Beske asked the Clerk if she had prepared a written document and the Clerk advised she had not. Dale Beske asked if any documentation will be sent to his attorney and the Clerk advised she will.
13. Future Agenda Items. The Town Board meetings for November will take place on November 2nd and 16th .
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for October 16, 2020 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report