Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
March 1, 2021
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson (telephonically), Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of February 15, 2021. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $229,057.57 (loan payment and Fire & EMS budget). Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: None.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Clerk's Report: None.
8. Road Crew: (1) The leased tractor is getting the shop. (2) The upgrade to the garage bay is complete. (3) Weight limits were placed on the roads today.
9. Constable Report: None.
10. Complaints: (1) Greg Marti lives on Washington Road just south of Highway N. Washington Road to the south is 45 miles an hour. It is a Class B highway and is shared with the Town of Albion. He is concerned about the width of the driveway, amount of traffic, number of bikers and walkers, and the number of homes with children in the area. He is requesting the Town consider lowering the speed limit to 45 miles per hour. Chairman Monsen stated the Town will consider this matter. However, there are differing opinions at the County level whether the Town has the ability to change the speed limit on just a number of roads and not all of the township roads. Chairman Monsen stated he will need to discuss the matter with the Road Crew. Supervisor Jenks stated the Town will also request the Dane County Sheriff to do additional patrol.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on identified names offered by
the Stoughton Area Senior Center as outreach to those in need in Dunkirk. Chairman Monsen summarized that the Town has been discussing the residents of Dunkirk who may be isolated and/or in need of assistance. As such, the Board has been discussing how to connect residents. Jeanne Schwass-Long has been in discussion with Murl Mackinnon, the Dunkirk Case Manager from the Stoughton Area Senior Center. Mr. Mackinnon has identified 15 residents so far who may be interested in getting connected. Chairman Monsen drafted a letter and an advertisement card. Supervisor Jenks read the draft letter to those in attendance. Jeanne Schwass-Long has volunteered to coordinate the program to begin.
b. Discussion and necessary action on PDR Committee. No action
c. Discussion and necessary action on Stoughton removal of dam. A
meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday, March 9th at 6:30 p.m. to discuss how the removal of the dam will affect Dunkirk. There will be a limited amount of seats for in-person and then there will be a virtual option.
d. Discussion and necessary action on designating a new savings
fund. Chairman Monsen stated the Town’s employee policy allows for 2,080 hours of accumulated sick time to be paid out at the time of retirement or death. The Town is looking to designate a fund to prepare for any payout at the time of retirement or death. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to designate $10,000 from the undesignated fund balance to the employee sick-leave payout fund. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
12. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on filling Plan Commission
member vacancy. The Town received two applicants. Mark Asleson was in attendance. He has previously served on the Pleasant Springs Planning Commission. He works with the public on a daily basis. The Board will interview the two candidates and determine how best to proceed.
b. Discussion and necessary action on recognizing the retirement of
Sheriff Mahoney. Dane County Towns Association has prepared a resolution to honor Sheriff Mahoney. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Dane County Towns’ resolution to recognize the retirement of Sheriff Mahoney. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
c. Convene to closed session: Closed session for Purposes of
Conferring with Legal Counsel with Respect to Possible Litigation pursuant to sec. 19.85(1)(g), Wis. Stats., regarding replacement of culvert on Tower Road. Attorney Parmentier has not contacted Chairman Monsen so the Board did not convene into closed session. Dale Beske was in attendance. He has sold the property to Duane Hinchley and the closing will be in April, 2021. They are still hoping to get the culvert lowered. The Hinchleys intend to clear the waterway on both sides of the culvert. Duane Hinchley provided correspondence regarding his intentions and information from Dane County Land Conservation Management. He has contracted Joe Schloemeyer to clean the water way, and will be available on the day the culvert is replaced and work with the Road Crew. Supervisor Jenks stated the Town needs to speak with Attorney Parmentier to determine what course of action we can take before the matter is completed with the Mr. Beske. Chairman Monsen will schedule a meeting with the Attorney, preferably this week, and will let Mr. Beske and Mr. Hinchley know.
d. Reconvene into open session immediately following closed
13. Future Agenda Items. Lowering the speed limit on Washington Road.
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:00 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for March 1, 2021 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report