Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
April 5, 2021
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 15, 2021. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $41,305.63. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: A resident was in attendance who advised she has the little library from the Anderson Avenue Park at her house for repairs.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
8. Road Crew: The Crew is working on patching roads. Brickson and Hammond Road, as well as Taylor Lane did not fair well over the winter. They are working on digging out the bad spots and will fill them with cold patch.
9. Constable Report: Holte spoke with Thayer regarding his pit. He is continuing to clean up from winter work. He received another complaint from James Danky about Thayer’s pit. The Clerk recommended Mr. Danky be referred to Dane County Zoning, as they are body that governs the Conditional Use Permit.
10. Complaints: Additional patrol is requested for late afternoon Taylor Lane/Aaker Road, as well as McGinnis Road.
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on identified names offered by
the Stoughton Area Senior Center as outreach to those in need in Dunkirk. The Clerk sent out the letter to the names provided by the Stoughton Senior Center and has not received any calls, nor any emails. Jeanne Schwass-Long was in attendance. She received a call from Murl Mackinnon at the Senior Center. He is contacting additional residents and will provide names and addresses as those become available.
b. Discussion and necessary action on Tower Drive culvert
replacement. Attorney Parmentier provided a finalized agreement between the Town of Dunkirk, Dale Beske on behalf of the Altemus Possin Science Fund, Inc. and the Oris & Elain A Possin Living Trust and Duane Hinchley. The Board will review and discuss in closed session.
c. Discussion and necessary action on filling Plan Commission
member vacancy. Chairman Monsen spoke with Mark Asleson to offer him a position on the Plan Commission. Kent Falligant is willing to serve as a consultant to the Plan Commission and the Board. The Board discussed increasing the number of Plan Commission members up to six members. Chairman Monsen will speak with Kim Maerz to determine whether she would prefer to serve on the Plan Commission or the PDR Commission.
12. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Resolution No. 04-21-01
Appointment of Alternate Members for Board of Review. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve Resolution No. 04-21-01. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
b. Convene to closed session: Closed session for Purposes of
Conferring with Legal Counsel with Respect to Possible Litigation pursuant to sec. 19.85(1)(g), Wis. Stats., regarding replacement of culvert on Tower Road. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to go into closed session at 7:30 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to reconvene into open session at 7:45 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
c. Reconvene into open session to take possible action on items
discussion during closed session. Chairman Monsen advised that the Town Board received an agreement as prepared by Attorney Matt Parmentier on behalf of the Town (attached). Supervisor Olson stated a motion to sign the Settlement Agreement and Mutual Release. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Road Crew Foreman questioned the timeline and the Board advised the Town has until April 30, 2021 to complete the work and there is no penalty if the Town has problems completing it before that date. He has a crew lined up for Wednesday and is hoping the work will go smoothly. Supervisor Jenks stated he believes it is a good thing that a hardworking dairy farmer is buying land in Dunkirk and will take care of this property that has been neglected for quite some time. He is not in support of entering into this agreement. Based on prior discussions, recommendations by the Town’s consultant and the complaint of the culvert not functioning occurred during two of the wettest years on record, he cannot support signing the agreement. Supervisor Olson stated the land will be cleared and the culvert lowered and he would like the matter put to rest. Motion carried 2-1.
13. Future Agenda Items.
14. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:55 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for April 5, 2021 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report