April 19, 2021
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Constable Greg Holte, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 5, 2021. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $32,794.87. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: (1) Jeanne Schwass-Long reported on the April Commission on Aging meeting. The Senior Center employees are working in person but provide services remotely. They are hoping to open the Center in May to small groups. The City’s computers were hacked and all had to be wiped clean and rebuilt. (2) Three residents were in attendance to participate in the Town’s government.
6. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Road Crew: The Road Crew continues to work on Hammond and Brickson Roads, which did not fare well over the winter.
8. Constable Report: Holte responded to Mr. Danky on his concerns regarding Thayer Every’s CUP, recommending Danky contact Dane County Zoning as they are the entity which governs the CUP.
9. Complaints: None.
10. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on identified names offered by
the Stoughton Area Senior Center as outreach to those in need in Dunkirk. After sending out letters to residents, the Clerk has not received any phone calls nor emails requesting assistance. Jeanne Schwass-Long will follow up with Murl at the Senior Center and make contact with the residents.
b. Discussion and necessary action on increased spending on 2021
road budget. The roads did not fare well over the winter and there are many potholes and “blow-ups.” Road Crew Foreman Mark Gretebeck is requesting additional funds in the budget to repair not only Hammond but others. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to allow up to $300,000 for the 2021 road budget. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
11. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on awarding of 2021 road bids.
The Town received bids for overlaying Hammond Road from the following companies:
Payne & Dolan in the amount of $209,642.40
Wolf Paving in the amount of $273,639.55
Supervisor Olson stated a motion to award the repair of Hammond Road from Washington Road to Hanerville Road to Payne & Dolan in the amount of $209,642.40. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
The Town received bids for seal coating various roads from the following companies:
Fahrner Asphalt in the amount of $16,250.00
Scott Construction in the amount of $15,776.00
Based on the recommendation of the Road Crew, this work will not be performed at this time so no bid was awarded.
b. Discussion and necessary action of County work on rural
broadband. James Danky has been appointed as the rural member of the County’s broadband task force committee. Chairman Monsen spoke with Mr. Danky and he had nothing to report at this time.
c. Discussion of Dunkirk Dam Lake District Quarterly meeting. The
DDLD’s quarterly meeting will take place on Wednesday, April 21, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. The President of the Lake District has been looking at the land close to the river. The County has been contemplating purchasing the property to allow for river access on the south end of the dam.
12. Future Agenda Items. Purchase of Development Rights Committee meeting.
13. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:45 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for April 19, 2021 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report