Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
June 21, 2021
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Constable Greg Holte, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Road Crew member John Bothum and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Veteran Arlin Teigen.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of June 7, 2021. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $24,878.48. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: (1) Town resident SueEllen Knutson is concerned about the intersection of Highway 138/Aaker Road/County A. There is a safety concern with this cross section. She has witnessed numerous “close calls” with people pulling from Aaker/A onto Highway 138, at times not even stopping at the stop sign. Speed and visibility are two main issues. There was a serious accident last weekend between a car and a dump truck. She has discussed the matter with the City of Stoughton, Dane County Sheriff, State Patrol, Wisconsin DOT, and the Town Board. She would like to see the speed reduced to 45 miles an hour on Highway 138 south to the Rosenbaum pit. To increase awareness, she would like to see flashing signs and rumble strips on Highway A and Aaker Road. Road Crew Member Bothum stated the stop signs and speed are the responsibility of Wisconsin Department of Transportation. The Constable will request the speed board sign be placed on Highway 138, as well as our Sheriff provide additional patrol. (2) Jeanne Schwass-Long was in attendance to give her Commission on Aging Report. The Senior Center opened on June 2nd with limited activities. A new activities director has been hired. Commission on Aging meetings will continue via Zoom.
6. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Road Crew: (1) Truck number two needs rear tires. John will obtain a quote. (2) He received an estimate for the Hanerville Road culvert in the amount of $9,000. It will be able to be submitted for bridge aid next year. (3) A budget meeting will need to take place following the repairs to Hammond and Brickson to determine what seal coating and crack filling may be done this year.
8. Constable Report: None
9. Plan Commission Report: The Plan Commission met last Wednesday. They elected Bill Delehanty as Chairperson and Brett Olson as Vice-Chair. They heard the Petition of Arlin Teigen and unanimously recommend approval to the Town Board.
10. Rural Preservation Commission Report. The Commission also met last week and are meeting every two weeks. They appointed Deb Wiepz as Chair and Kim Maerz as Secretary.
11. Complaints: None.
12. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on identified names offered by
the Stoughton Area Senior Center as outreach to those in need in Dunkirk. Murl Mackinnon was in attendance at the last meeting and stated he had a number of additional residents to contact. He will contact Jeanne if any are in need.
b. Discussion and necessary action on rural broadband work in the
County. The Committee members have been assigned and work has begun in the County. The County just approved a loan to improve broadband.
c. Discussion and necessary action on river access and working with
Dane County Parks. No action taken.
d. Discussion and necessary action on solar farm ordinance. The
Clerk provided a draft ordinance. She will send it to Attorney Behling for review. A notice will have to be placed in the paper and on our website 15 days prior to the public hearing.
13. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Arlin Teigen, 1069 Taylor
Lane, Stoughton, WI, Dane County Petition No. 2021-11719, rezoning 1.3 acres from RR-1 to RR-4 and 3.0 acres from AT-35 to RR-4, expanding an existing residential lot. Mr. Teigen was in attendance. Mr. Rob Hostrawser was also in attendance. He purchased the 42 acre Teigen farm as an investment. He is looking to develop the two acres in the City of Stoughton but no development of the rest of the acreage is planned at this time. The Plan Commission voted unanimously to recommend approval to the Town Board. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve Dane County Petition No. 2021-11719. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
b. Discussion and necessary action on Memorandum of Agreement
Between the Town of Dunkirk and Groundswell Conservancy, Inc. The Board is waiting for a review by Attorney Behling. The matter will be placed on the next Board agenda.
c. Closed session pursuant to section 19.84(2) and 19.85(1)(f), Wis.
Stats. Considering financial, medial, social or personal histories or disciplinary data of specific persons, preliminary consideration of specific personnel problems or the investigation of charges against specific persons except where par. (b) applies which, if discussed in public, would be likely to have a substantial adverse effect upon the reputation of any person referred to in such histories or data, or involved in such problems or investigations. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to proceed into closed session at 7:53 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
d. Reconvene into open session immediately following closed
session and take action as necessary. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to reconvene into open session at 8:45 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
14. Future Agenda Items.
15. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for June 21, 2021 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report