Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
September 7, 2021
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Greg Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of August 16, 2021. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $77,036.36. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: (1) Two residents were in attendance. They are looking to build an accessory building on their property. The size and placement of the structure has been confirmed but their current zoning does not allow for the height they desires. In order to build a building the size that will suit their needs, they will need to rezone. Plan Commission Chairman Bill Delehanty was in attendance. He recommended the residents attend an upcoming Plan Commission meeting for a pre-application conference. The Clerk requested the residents send an email so the information can be forwarded to the Plan Commission in advance of the October 13, 2021 meeting. (2) It was announced in the paper that the City of Stoughton approved the first phase of the Whitewater Park. (3) Constable Holte requested the Town further investigate a potential ordinance on ATV’s and UTV’s on Town roads. Supervisor Olson stated his concern is that there are increased risks to run ATV’s on asphalt roads. Supervisor Jenks agrees with Olson’s risk. Up north, the use of these vehicles are getting to trails, which the Town does not have. They can be on the roads for farm use.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
8. Road Crew: (1) Garage windows have been installed. (2) There was a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Sam Miles Road and Bass Lake last week. Two teenagers hit the power pole, which fell on Bass Lake Road. The transformer was on the road for quite some time and did extensive damage. The Clerk will obtain the incident report and submit an insurance claim. (3) The culverts have been installed on Hanerville Road.
9. Constable Report: (1) There has been a dog loose on Oak Lawn Road. Constable has spoken with residents to request they be kept in the yards. (2) There is an abandoned vehicle on Oak Lawn Road, which was parked on Stronach’s property for some time. Dane County responded to the vehicle earlier in the day. If the vehicle is still there after the meeting, Holte will call Dane County again.
10. Rural Preservation Commission Report. The Commission meets every other Tuesday nights. They continue to work on ranking criteria. They had a Zoom meeting and had difficulties running the meeting with members all on their computers. A resident recommended having everyone calling into the phone system and muting the audio on the Zoom computer program.
11. Complaints: None.
12. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on rural broadband work in the
County. James Danky sent an email that a comprehensive survey is being prepared to obtain information on residents’ internet needs. Jim will provide the survey as soon as it is available. The survey will be placed in the Town newsletter and on social media.
b. Discussion and necessary action on solar farm ordinance.
The Clerk is waiting for additional information from the Plan Commission Sub-Committee on the work they have done to date. Sheldon Schieldt has indicated that the Town will need to amend the Land Use Plan in the future.
13. New Business:
a. Review of 2021 Budget v. actual. The Board reviewed the budget
versus actual numbers.
b. Discussion and necessary action on honoring former Town of
Dunn Chairman Ed Minihan. Chairman Monsen stated Ed was a long-time friend of the Town and was a trail blazer for his Town. Pursuant to the request in his obituary, the Town will be planting a tree in his honor.
14. Future Agenda Items.
15. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:30 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for August 2, 2021 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report