Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
October 18, 2021
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Constable Greg Holte, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by the Constable.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of October 4, 2021. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $12,751.69. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. The Clerk explained the amount budgeted and spent to date. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: Wisconsin Assembly District 43 Representative Don Vruwink was in attendance. Not much is happening in Madison this two year cycle due to political discord. The State budget has been finalized with just over a five percent raise. The nursing homes and hospitals had their reimbursement amounts raised. Vruwink has been working with multiple municipalities on increased fire department costs and needs.
6. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Road Crew: None.
8. Constable Report: None.
9. Plan Commission Report: The Plan Commission met last week and had two pre-application conferences. The two residents will be filing Petitions with Dane County Zoning. They are creating a sub-committee to look into updating the Town’s Land Use Plan.
10. Rural Preservation Commission Report. The Commission is meeting every two weeks. They continue to work on the ranking criteria and meet with prospective landowners.
11. Complaints: None.
12. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on rural broadband work in the
County. The Town received an email regarding the potential for using American Rescue Plan Act Funds towards rural broadband work.
b. Discussion and necessary action on solar farm ordinance. The
Plan Commission Sub-Committee’s information has been forwarded to Attorney Behling for her review.
c. Discussion and necessary action on honoring former Town of
Dunn Chairman Ed Minihan. The Town approved planting a tree in Dunkirk in honor of Ed Minihan. His favorite tree was an oak. No additional information from Road Crew was received.
d. Discussion and necessary action on State Municipal Agreement
with Wisconsin DOT for sidewalk installation on Highway 51. The Board believes that is not fiscally responsible.
13. New Business:
a. Discussion of 2022 Budget and levy amounts from City of
Stoughton and School Districts. The Town continues to hold budget working meetings. The amount of the City of Stoughton Fire levy went up by 29% for 2022. The Town has not received levy limits from the School districts.
b. Discussion and necessary action on safety concerns at the
Highway 138 and Hogie Road intersection. There was a fatal accident two weeks ago at this location. The resident who lives on Hogie Road is concerned about the speed of traffic as they exit their driveway. Representative Vruwink will speak with Dane County Sheriff and staff at the Department of Transportation to determine if safety improvements can be made.
14. Future Agenda Items. None.
15. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:00 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for October 18, 2021 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report