Town of Dunkirk
Dane County Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
November 1, 2021
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Dan Jenks, Treasurer, Bonnie Smithback, Constable, Greg Holte. Clerk, Melanie Huchthausen was absent. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge was led by Jack A. Lyon.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3 – 0
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of October 18, 2021. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of October 18, 2021. Motion was seconded by Chairman Jenks. Motion carried 3 – 0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approved the bills payable in the amount of $26,149.91. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3 – 0
5. Public Comment: Jeanne Schwass-Long was in attendance and provided her Commission on Aging report. Completion of the Senior Center parking lot turned challenging due to unforeseen cost issues, requiring rebidding the job; and going through a budget amendment process. The lot has been completed. Next year, 2022 the Senior Center will celebrate their 50th anniversary. The same funding challenges continue, with no changes through state legislation; requiring pursuing outside monies through businesses, organizations and townships. Jack Lyon noted as a member of the Catfish River Review (band), they will be playing the Senior Center November 11th for their luncheon.
Chairman Monsen had a meeting with the city mayor regarding the fire department’s proposed radio purchase. Supervisor Olson recommended to continue this conversation with the mayor when the Fire Chief is available and could contribute direct information on the matter of radio(s) purchase for the fire department. Current information has this purchase price at $549,000 with Dunkirk’s portion slated at $55,000.
Update on the Ladder Truck; No decision by the city has been made at this time.
Supervisor Olson reported on the (shared) excavator replacement/purchase proposed by Town of Dunn. Cost being a factor with Dunkirk, Rutland & Oregon. Replacement cost of $248,000 with a trade-in of $119,000 for net cost of $120,000 with $30,000 being Dunkirk’s portion. The four townships decided to push out this consideration replacement two to three years. (Current hours on this equipment is1326 hours). Also discussed sharing a grader at a purchase cost of $340,000, which is not a consideration for Dunkirk. A traffic counter purchase at a cost of $5,000 was also discussed which Dunkirk would be interested in next year. And a replacement/purchase of a trailer for the equipment at $6,000 was agreeable.
6. Clerk’s Report: None
7. Road Crew: Reported outside work is current in preparation for winter.
8. Constable Report: (1) Brush pile complaint on Westchester; 10 day warning given.
(2). Received a stray dog call on the Vinji property; dog was reunited with its owner.
9. Rural Preservation Commission Report: They are finalizing of the Scoring System.
10. Complaints: None
11. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Solar farm ordinance. Attorney Beiling continues work on ordinance and advised Chairman Monsen the township’s ordinance would be limited in scope.
b. Discussion and necessary action on safety concerns at the Highway 138 & Hogie Road intersection. Town received communication from the State indicating there was insufficient accident data to warrant changing the intersection. Chairman Monsen plans on also sending a letter to the individual recommended by Representative Don Vruwink to address this intersection as well.
12. New Business: None
13. Future Agenda Items: Supervisor Olson recommended pursuing bids for an Audio/Video System for the town hall, using available ARPA funds.
Adjournment made by Supervisor Jenks, seconded by Supervisor Olson and carried. 7:20 p.m. adjournment.
Bonnie K. Smithback, Treasurer