Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
June 6, 2022
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Constable Greg Holte, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Road Crew Foreman John Bothum and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Greg Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of May 16, 2022. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $39,250.66. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: None.
6. Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the clerk's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
8. Road Crew: (1) Started mowing ditches today. (2) Two ash trees in the park on Ash Lane have to be removed. (3) Seal coating will take place in the near future, weather dependent. (4) Mark Bakken has not gotten paid for the culvert flushing he did back in March. He was advised to resend the bill. Chairman Monsen thanked John Bothum for planting the oak tree in memory of Ed Minihan.
9. Constable Report: (1) Holte contacted Zinc Power regarding their trucking companies traveling on Race Track Road, as it is weight limited. (2) Neighbor’s steers on Oak Lawn Road got out again. He worked with the neighbor to get them back home. (3) Holte received a call from Gary Teigen regarding junk accumulation at his neighbor’s home at 1086 Highway 138. The Clerk will contact Dane County Zoning, as they had written a letter to this resident last year. (4) He spoke with a Dane County Sheriff’s Deputy regarding patrolling, etc. Supervisor Jenks will contact the Sheriff’s department
10. Plan Commission Report: There was no May meeting and there will be no June meeting.
11. Rural Preservation Commission Report. There will be no June meeting.
12. Complaints: None.
13. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on amending the Town’s Land
Use Plan. The Town Board met with Majid Allen from Dane County Zoning, along with the Rural Preservation Committee and Plan Commission. The Land Use Plan will need a full update in 2025. Regarding the request from a potential business owner wanting to rezone a property off of McComb Road, Delehanty stated the first order of business would be to update the land use map. Once that is done, then the potential buyer could request a rezone. The Clerk will prepare the necessary paperwork to begin amending the land use plan map. Delehanty will reschedule the Plan Commission meeting and prepare a resolution.
b. Discussion and necessary action on updating Town’s Employee
Handbook. The Board has made changes to the Town Employee Handbook and have returned to Luann Alme to amend. No action taken.
c. Discussion and necessary action on Wisconsin Disaster Fund
paperwork related to the March 5, 2022 tornado and wind storm. The Leslie Road portion of the Disaster Fund request was denied. It was their opinion the majority of the damage was due to age and not tornado related activities.
d. Discussion and necessary action on appointment of two Rural
Preservation Committee members to a two-year term. The Rural Preservation Committee is going to determine the sequence of serving and will let us know in the near future.
e. Discussion and necessary action on improving the Town’s
website. Supervisor Jenks will speak with Isadex to improve the site.
f. Discussion and necessary action on Town Attorney. The Board
will meet with a potential candidate on July 18, 2022, at 6:00 p.m.
14. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on weight limit change from
Class B to 23 ton limit on Hogie Road, Oak Lawn Road and Aaker Road. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to change the weight limits from Class B to 23 ton limit on Hogie Road, Oak Lawn Road and Aaker Road. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Bothum stated we currently provide year Class B permits exemptions to our Town farmers. The Town will amend these exemptions to be during planting and harvest seasons only. Ordinance 9-03(1) designates all town roads as Class B Highways. Motion carried 3-0.
b. Discussion and necessary action on Race Track Road
improvements. The Town Board met with representatives from the City of Stoughton regarding the City’s grant application to repair Race Track Road in 2026. The City will be applying for their grant and no agreement was made regarding Town involvement in repairing Race Track Road.
c. Discussion and necessary action on donation from Bjorn
Hoverson to improve Lyon Memorial Park. Mr. Hoverson is wanting to donate a picnic table and a Free Fish Shanty to Lyon Memorial Park. The Board will happily receive donation of the picnic table but does not believe a free fish shanty would be beneficial at this time.
d. Discussion and necessary action RHD Properties, LLC’s
annexation request. RHD Properties, LLC has requested annexation of a parcel located at the intersection of US Highway 51 and Velkommen Way.
15. Future agenda items. (1) Establish a committee to establish a TDR Program in Dunkirk. (2) Dane County Sheriff in attendance.
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:45 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for June 6, 2022 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report