Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
February 20, 2023
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:42 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Jenks, Constable Holte, Clerk Kathy Olson, and Treasurer Smithback. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of February 6, 2023. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $12,492.23. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Treasurer Report – 1st meeting of month
6. Public Comment: Resident asked about Fire Dept. budget numbers, how much increase, went up by 5,000.00. Discussed need for ladder truck that is currently about 20yrs old.
Jean Schwass-long gave her report on the Senior Center – Commented on the Area Community Foundation new donations that are being split 3 ways. Informed group that caterer for meals on wheels had quit on 2/7, senior center chef took over for the interim and made meals, have new caterer hired by county starting. Senior center has a calendar out to raise funds, it is based on movies and has the residents 55+ in pictures. Annex construction has started and there will be a survey coming out regarding senior center.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Olson gave her Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes.
8. Road Crew: John passed out list of costs for road items, will be posting weight limits on 3/1. All present thanked John & road crew for the job done on snow plowing.
9. Constable Report: Talked to Dane Co. Deputy about Race Track road usage, they will make a note of the situation
10. Plan Commission Report: All in new business, attached is Plan Commission meeting notes on issues
11. Parks Committee: 1st meeting in March
12. Complaints: None
13. Unfinished Business:
a. Update on Adler property site – Norm & Ted plan on attending the closing which is now 2/24 @ 3:00PM
b. ATV – Public meeting on 2/20 @ 6:00PM – seeing notes from meeting
c. Letter to resident @ 2844 Oaklawn – Letter is completed, mailed out to resident
d. Soccer league usage of parks for upcoming season – Sarah Johnson will be getting us a schedule for the coming spring season. Told Sarah how some residents are concerned about over use of parks by league.
14. New Business:
a. Open Book – Board certification information – Gave class information to board, Open Book date will be April 10th, review date still under discussion.
b. Dane County Rezone Petition #DCPREZ-2023-11930. William and Julie Karpus, 2404 Hammond Road to rezone from RR-8 to RM-8 for their horse stable and arena project. This is for a barn & riding facility, Supervisor Olson motion to approve, motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
c. Dane County Conditional Use Permit #DCPCUP-2023-02588. William and Julie Karpus, 2404 Hammond Road, for RM-8 compliance with their horse stable and arena project. This is to install a bathroom in facility, Supervisor Olson motion to approve, motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
d. Recommendation of Dane County Ordinance Amendment 2022 OA-57 regarding application requirements and setbacks for communication towers. Supervisor Jenks motion to approve, motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
e. Approval of the Dane County Planning & Development proposal for consulting services for the mandatory Town of Dunkirk Comprehensive Land Use Plan twenty-year update. Discussion was to start since one or two years away from being due, form a committee, Supervisor Olson made a motion under condition to get county help, Supervisor Jenks seconded under condition payment of fees can be done in 2024. Motion carried 3-0
f. Consider portion of Hanerville Road right-of-way width for adjacent Parcel #: 026/0511-352-8010-4, Chris Luzzio 249 Hanerville Road. Jog in right of way, county owners but passing off to township to sell to owner. No action was taken on this matter during this meeting
15. Future agenda items.
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:47 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Kathy Olson, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills paid ledger
Copy of agenda for February 20, 2023 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report
Copy of February 6, 2023 meeting minutes