Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
May 1, 2023
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Jenks, Constable Holte, Clerk Kathy Olson, and Treasurer Smithback. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Jack Lyons.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of April 17, 2023. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $32,202.53. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
5. Treasurer Report – Bonnie gave report, attached to document Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the treasurer report, and motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen
6. Public Comment: Laura from Dam Lake District gave presentation on acquisition of land Parcel below dam. The proposal and draft agreement between Dunkirk and Dam Lake District is attached.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Olson gave her Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the clerk report, and motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen
8. Road Crew: Work will start on roads next week, need to start hauling gravel. Aaker road is in really bad shape, so John talked to the company, they will fix road. Got 911 call regarding tree down in Pleasant Springs, John took care of since they have no road crew. Should we charge for our road crew services, Chairman Monsen will call and talk to Dick Green.
9. Constable Report: Received a call on Sunday regarding cows out again on Oaklawn Road, corralled them up to farm. Asked owner if he left gate open again resident didn’t respond to question. It was suggested that Dane County be called, Chairman Monsen will put together a letter for Board to send out. Received a call before this meeting regarding a lost dog around Oaklawn & Hwy 138 area.
10. Plan Commission Report:
11. Parks Committee: Public meeting is scheduled for May 8th @ 6:30 PM, announcement that doors will open at 6:00. John has been investigating repairing the equipment and has contacted the original company to get parts, don’t make anymore will get prices other companies. Met with Stoughton Parks said that tall slide should come down. Looking into merry go round to see if it should go away, was suggested not to put in equipment at the park near Fox Prairie.
12. Complaints: None
13. Unfinished Business:
a. Consider portion of Hanerville Road right-of-way width adjacent to parcel # 026/0511-352-8010-4, Chris Luzzio 249 Hanerville Rd. – Actual owner of parcel, need to sign form, need to wait for Supervisor Olson
b. Speed limits – Resident on Mcinnis Rd wants sign up for 45 miles per hour. Ask if the resident can come to a meeting.
c. Cell tower discussion – County met last week but no action was taken.
d. Hire tech to help with township technology which includes helping with website cleanup. Derek came in and hooked up TV and got internet to interact with system. Derek has ideas for website need to get him password for site
e. Review town hall fees & usage policy – Discussions involved raising the fee to 50.00 and increasing fee or stop hall usage for seller intentions. Also need to ask the insurance company if liability for hall being used for a seller. Need to add new rental language to release form.
14. New Business:
a. Discussion & necessary action on two town driveways that the town has never received funds to maintain. John reached out to Frick Daniel who supplied maps from 1970 that show drives are ours, but since most drives no longer end at dairy farms are we setting ourselves up for an audit. Another discussion was to start the process of turning roads over to homeowners.
b. Weight & speed limit on Hogie Road – This needs to be dicused when Supervisor Olson is present. Supervisor Jenks will check into an inspector.
15. Future agenda items.
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 p.m. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
Kathy Olson, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills paid ledger.
Copy of Agenda for April 17, 2023, meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report
Copy of April 3, 2023, meeting minutes
Copy of treasurer report
Copy of documents from Dam Lake District presentation