Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
May 15, 2023
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Jenks, Constable Holte, Clerk Kathy Olson, and Treasurer Smithback. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of May 1, 2023. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0, due to Supervisor Olson was not present at the May 1st. meeting.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $29,400.54. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Treasurer Report – none
6. Public Comment: Jean from the Senior Center presented a report regarding the Commission on Aging that meet on May 2nd, she indicated that they are hiring a full-time coordinator. She touched on the construction work that has begun on the annex, also that the drive thru meal program will be stopping. This program will only be provided during fund raisers going forward. The Senior Center is constantly looking for volunteers and the county is starting to think about budgets and costs for case managers. Jean provided copies of the 2022 annual report which will be part of this meeting package.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Olson gave her Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the treasurer report, and motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0
8. Road Crew: John talked about graveling roads and that Rutland & Danks grinding work will begin. Paving work should start after Memorial Day weekend. John also presented a check to the board for payment on work that needs to be done on Pleasant View Road, John had contacted the contractor responsible for the damage and they agreed to pay.
9. Constable Report: Only had one issue to deal with, the resident on Oaklawn Road has moved his fencing extremely close to the road, Dane Co. has been called on this issue. Chairman Monsen indicated if Dane Co is involved to let them handle.
10. Plan Commission Report: The 2 ½ acre re-zone for the Long property was approved by 5-0.
The Ft. Little Green project has been tabled for now, need a public hearing which should take place on June 14th at 6:15. Clerk needs to send out letters and publish notice.
11. Parks Committee: Laura presented a draft agreement between the Dam Lake District and The Town of Dunkirk. Read thru draft agreement which is attached to the meeting minutes, really focused on maintenance of the new park and John’s thoughts on what road crew can do. Deadlines for this are about September 1, 2023. Also discussed was park equipment, issue was to take down equipment or wait until Park Committee was formed. It was suggested that dangerous equipment (Slide) be taken down immediately and others when time permits. It was discussed to have a working meeting before regular meeting on June 5, that meeting will start at 6:00PM. Goal is to have someone represent each park in the township.
12. Complaints: Chairman Monsen received an e-mail complaint regarding resident on Pleasant Hill, who is currently in a rehab facility. The question on the table is can we deny him to be able to return to the property he is residing in. Supervisor Olson will speak to the attorney regarding are options.
13. Unfinished Business:
a. Consider portion of Hanerville Road right-of-way width for adjacent Parcel #: 026/0511-352-8010-4, Chris Luzzio 249 Hanerville Road.
b. Speed limits – No Discussion
c. ATV – No Discussion
d. Cell tower discussion – No report
e. Discussion & necessary action on 2 town driveways - Supervisor Olson will discuss with attorney how to surrender roads to residents. John requested if we could get this figured out before winter.
f. Weight & speed limit on Hogie Road – Supervisor Jenks talked to Dane County regarding matters of over-weight vehicles they will help try to curb. Supervisor Olson suggested we put up one of the cameras to also help catch violators.
g. Review town hall fees & usage policy – Discussions involved raising the fee to $50.00 and increasing fee or stop hall usage for selling intentions. Insurance company answer on liability for hall being used for a seller. As of 5/15 clerk has not received an answer back, will reach out again.
14. New Business:
a. Discuss rezone petition DCPREZ-2023-11948, for property located at 3065 Sam Miles Rd. Planning commission approved the re-zone 5-0, motion by the board to also approve re-zone was made by Supervisor Olson, seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion approved 3-0 to allow re-zone of 3065 Sam Miles Rd.
b. Convene to closed session: Considering employment, promotion, and compensation or performance evaluation data of an employee.
Note this item may be considered in closed session under Wis. Stat. §19.85(1)(c) when considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility.
Chairman Monsen announced to group that the board will now go into a closed session to discuss employee matters. Motion made by Supervisor Jenks to go into closed session, seconded by Supervisor Olson, Motion carried 3-0
Closed session called to order at 8:04 PM, present were Chairman Monsen, Supervisor Olson, Supervisor Jenks and Clerk Kathy Olson.
Discussion was to increase wages for clerk based on performance. Motion to increase wages for 2023 and revaluate for 2024 budget was made by Supervisor Olson, seconded by Supervisor Jenks, motion carried 3-0
Motion to adjourn at 8:08PM was presented by Supervisor Jenks, seconded by Supervisor Olson, motion carried 3-0
c. Reconvene into open session immediately following closed session. – Reconvened meeting at 8:09 PM
15. Future agenda items. – Finding a resident for the township to handle Broadband task, which include going to meetings and research. Supervisor Jenks will post on Facebook, clerk will post on website.
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:11 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
Future meetings: May 17, 2023 – Dane Co. Towns – Chariman Monsen indicated he or Supervisor Jenks would attend.
June 1, 2023 – Due date for letters of interest for Parks Committee
Kathy Olson, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills paid ledger
Copy of Agenda for May 15, 2023 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report
Copy of May 1, 2023 meeting minutes
2022 Annual Report from Stoughton Senior Center
Draft memorandum from Dam Lake District