Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
June 19, 2023
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Jenks, Constable Holte, Clerk Kathy Olson, and Treasurer Smithback. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of June 5, 2023. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes as presented, Supervisor Olson seconded. Motion carried 3-0
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $32,002.05. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Treasurer Report –
6. Public Comment: 1. Noise complaint – Resident was not in attendance to let board know if the business was continuing with the excessive power washing.
2. Painting of stop sign line – John has reached out to Dane Co. for a price
3. Jean gave report on senior center – senior center has hired a new receptionist; Current fund raiser is going well goal is $29,500 and they are half way there. Jean noted that there will be more fund raisers on the way to help obtain goal. Annex building is completed and starting to be occupied, still looking for volunteers for committees. Jean went over current senior center newsletter and pointed out some of the highlights on activities going on.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Olson gave her Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve report, motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0
8. Road Crew: Have completed shouldering work, put driveway at cemetery, doing patch work. Will help Rutland with road complaints.
9. Constable Report: Goats out again on Oaklawn, next time will get Dane Co. involved as resident isn’t cooperating. Will try to get ahold of Dane Co. to get a speed board put up on Hogie Road. Will drive by residence on Hwy A to see if yard has been mowed. If she has not, we will assess a fine.
10. Plan Commission Report: Wednesday meeting took action on Ft. Little Green, had no concerns voted 4-0
11. Parks Committee: Renee represented parks committee – informed that soccer season is now completed and the equipment & port-a-potties have been removed. Noted that fall season will be starting in August, was informed there will be 2 to 3 teams, could we put renewal of agreement on the July 3rd agenda.
13. Unfinished Business:
a. Consider portion of Hanerville Road right-of-way width for adjacent Parcel #: 026/0511-352-8010-4, Chris Luzzio 249 Hanerville Road.
b. Speed limits – Chairman Monsen will talk to Wi Towns on procedures to change speed limits. Motion by Supervisor Olson to lower speed limit on Race Track Road from 35 to 25 miles per hour, motion seconded by Supervisor Jenks, motion carried 3-0
c. ATV – Supervisor Jenks e-mailed Mike Engelberger regarding what Dane Co is doing, Mike indicated there was nothing in the works currently. Supervisor Olson will contact DCTA for a survey
d. Cell tower discussion – No report
e. Discussion & necessary action on 2 town driveways – Supervisor Olson will address, John indicated there are 20 driveways, 4 we must keep as they have more than one residence on them.
f. Weight & speed limit on Hogie & Racetrack Road –. Will put up a camera to capture violators, Constable will look into getting a speed board put up.
14. New Business:
a. Broadband – Resident volunteer – No responses to date, this is posted on both website & Facebook
b. Fee for driveway approval - $25.00 – Motion to increase fee for existing driveways to be inspected by road crew to $25.00 was made by Supervisor Olson, seconded by Supervisor Jenks, motion carries 3-0
c. Consider the Rural Preservation Commission’s request to move forward with two applications (Felio Rev. Trust property in sections 19 and 3 and Stoughton Conservation Club property in section 15) to the town’s Rural Preservation Program. Looking for approval to continue to have discussion with them, Dan motioned to approve to continue discussion, Ted seconded. 3-0
d. Discussion and necessary action on $350,000 loan to finance roadwork – Since Rutland paved part of Danks road, loan needs to be increased to 400,000. Supervisor Olson would like a boundary map done so this doesn’t happen in the future. Supervisor Olson motioned to increase loan, Supervisor Jenks seconded, motion carried 3-0
e. Updating employee handbook – Need to update vacation scheduling, Supervisor should approve time off request. Will ask resident to update verbiage in handbook
f. Dane County C.U.P. DCPCUP-2023-02595 for Fort Little Green to construct an accessory building at 2402 Robert Street. – Planning commission recommend approval. Plan is to put in a driveway, fence and a garage and a pathway that is handicap accessible to get around property. Driveway will be a circle to promote one way in and out, and more parking. Supervisor Olson motion to approve, Supervisor Jenks
seconded, motion carries 3-0
g. Due to extremely dry conditions the motion that was passed at the June 5, 2023 meeting to put a burn ban into effect will be imposed starting immediately. Supervisor Jenks will post on Facebook, Clerk Olson will post on website. Carried 3-0
15. Future agenda items. –
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:52 p.m. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
Kathy Olson, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills paid ledger
Copy of Agenda for June 19, 2023 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report
Copy of June 5, 2023 meeting minutes