Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
August 21, 2023
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Olson, Supervisor Jenks, Constable Holte, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback and Clerk Kathy Olson. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Jack Lyons.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of August 7, 2023. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes as presented, Supervisor Olson seconded. Motion carried 3-0
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills, approved payable amount is $27,041.45. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks, Motion carried 3-0.
5. Treasurer Report – 1st meeting of month
6. Public Comment: Luann Alme suggested that we check out Ft. Atkinson’s website to see how they are handling their re-assessment with residents.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Olson gave her Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve, Supervisor Olson seconded. Motion carried 3-0
8. Road Crew: John has started getting prices for mowers to be budgeted in 2024. Also will need to replace water tank as it is starting to rust on bottom. Have been doing park maintenance and helping them search for swings. Road crew was praised by Chairman Monsen on the work that was done on Hogie & Hwy 138 to make visibility better. John will be off the week of September 4th, so will not be at next meeting.
9. Constable Report: Talked to neighbors around township about mowing, word got around and the violating address has started mowing yard. Talked to Sheriff about why speed sign is gone from Taylor and when one will be put up at Hogie. Will put letter on vehicles that are located in lot off of Hwy N, letter will also be mailed to owner of that property.
10. Plan Commission Report:
a. Dane County rezone petition # DCPREZ-2023-11975 D & J Alme Partnership, 2355 Leslie Rd. parcel # 0511-223-8500-7, 5.2 acres, change from FP-35 to RR-4. Supervisor Olson made a motion to approve change, Supervisor Jenks seconded, motion carried 3-0
b. Dane County CUP # DCPCUP-2023-02602 D & J Alme Partnership, 2355 Leslie Rd, parcel #0511-223-8500-7. CUP for more than one animal unit per acre (continued use up to 55 head of livestock) Added language: Permitting continued use of up to 55 head livestock on 5.2 acres parcel with recommendation that CUP expires at sale of property to non-family member. Supervisor Jenks made a motion to approve, Supervisor Olson seconded, and motion carried 3-0
11. Parks Committee: Is leaving the swing decision up to the board, all board members agreed to have swings purchased thru Amazon.
12. Complaints: None
13. Unfinished Business:
a. Consider portion of Hanerville Road right-of-way width for adjacent Parcel #: 026/0511-352-8010-4, Chris Luzzio 249 Hanerville Road.
b. ATV – Will discuss next meeting
c. Cell tower discussion –
d. Discussion & necessary action on 2 town driveways – Chairman Monsen will draft up letter to the two residents explaining that the driveways will be turned over to them by October 1, 2023
e. Weight & speed limit on Hogie & Racetrack Road –.Camera is in place at Hogie & Taylor, will pull footage. John Alme asked if milk trucks could get a permit to run on roads, board agreed that a milk truck would fall under same category as farm vehicles and should acquire a permit from John. Other question was how are we going to enforce the information collected from camera? With a clear image of a truck a letter could be written and sent to the company and sheriff department informing them of the violation.
f. Broadband – Chairman Monsen is concerned that Dunkirk may miss out on funding if nothing is done. Talked about seminars available and maybe hiring a grant writer for the township. Luann Alme mentioned some potential people to reach out to for help. One in particular was Jenna Jacobson the state representative for our area.
g. Newsletter – Do in fall
14. New Business:
15. Future agenda items. –
a. Start budget for 2024
b. Camera highlights
c. Fly Dane program
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:19 p.m. Supervisor Jenks seconded. Motion carried 3-0.
Kathy Olson, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills paid ledger
Copy of Agenda for August 21, 2023 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report
Copy of August 7, 2023 meeting minutes