Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
September 5, 2023
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Olson, Supervisor Jenks, Constable Holte, and Clerk Kathy Olson. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Chad Ferguson.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of August 21, 2023. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes as presented, Supervisor Olson seconded. Motion carried 3-0
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills, approved payable amount is $98,200.00. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks, Motion carried 3-0.
5. Treasurer Report – Report was read by Chairman Monsen, no action was taken until further discussion with Treasurer Smithback
6. Public Comment: Present was the Shaw Building company and their client. They presented their proposal on putting in a drive way on the property purchased that runs between Leslie & Hamond. Owner of land wants to build a house, lease out some acres and restore a pond & prairie land. The goal is to make everything eco-friendly and have driveway come off of Leslie which will not affect the trees on property. They were instructed by Chairman Monsen that they first step is to go before the Planning Committee as Bill Delehanty was present and confirmed this step.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Olson gave her Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve, Supervisor Olson seconded. Motion carried 3-0
8. Road Crew: John had mentioned to Supervisor Olson that the truck was going to need new tires.
9. Constable Report: John called regarding a vehicle parked on side of road, talked to resident it was there because of party the other night. Informed resident plates are expired. Resident called inquiring about noise ordinance, said neighbor kids are planning loud music. Told resident think the noise ordinance was for later at night. Then resident complained about chickens getting in his yard, said to call when it happened next to call. On Sunday steers were out again on Oaklawn, helped resident get them back in. Owner ignored talk about needing to enforce the fencing. Chairman will write a letter telling him to come to a meeting to talk about. Will inform him citations will start to be issued.
10. Plan Commission Report: Bill Delehanty reported that the resident at 960 Ash Lane had a septic system put in and they ran it into the easement. Asked if board had any concerns with this, board look at location and said they had no issues. Bill also relayed he spoke with residents on County Hwy A in regards to getting into the rural preservation program. Bill also brought to the attention of the board that some of the park benches need either to be repaired or removed as they are falling apart. Chairman Monsen replied that the boy scouts were supposed to be keeping them up but are not doing so.
11. Parks Committee:
13. Unfinished Business:
a. Consider portion of Hanerville Road right-of-way width for adjacent Parcel #: 026/0511-352-8010-4, Chris Luzzio 249 Hanerville Road. Received e-mail from Chris asking if we could still keep on agenda.
b. ATV – Will discuss when we hire attorney
c.. Discussion & necessary action on 2 town driveways – Letter will be drafted by Chairman
d. Weight & speed limit on Hogie & Racetrack Road – It was noted in the meeting with our potential attorney that a letter could be sent out to companies that are in violation. Supervisor Jenks indicated that date & time need to be corrected on camera, and that John had given him the card from the camera to look at.
14. New Business:
a. Fly Dane – Supervisor Olson will reach out to organization to see if they will come to a meeting to discuss.
b. 40-Day Town review RE: Salvage Operations – Supervisor Olson will discuss with WI. Towns and see their position on the matter. Received a letter from City of Middleton regarding this matter and wanting our position.
c. Dane Co. Sheriff estimate for 2024 - Was asked if clerk can forward e-mail to all board members and will discuss during budget meetings.
d. Attorney interview discussion/action – Supervisor Olson made a motion to hire, Supervisor Jenks seconded motion. Was stated that once fee schedule is sent in by the attorney and approved by board motion to hire will be carried. 3-0
15. Future agenda items. – Put in place a burn ban starting 9/6 and continuing on until there is a significant rain fall. Clerk will post on website, Supervisor Jenks will post on Facebook.
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:29 p.m. Supervisor Olson seconded. Motion carried 3-0.
Kathy Olson, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills paid ledger
Copy of treasurer’s report
Copy of Agenda for September 5, 2023 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report
Copy of August 21, 2023 meeting minutes