Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
December 18, 2023
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Olson, Supervisor Jenks, Constable Holte, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback and Clerk Kathy Olson. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Jack Lyons
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes of the regular meeting of December 4, 2023. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes as presented, Supervisor Olson seconded. Motion carried 3-0
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills, approved payable amount is $42,925.37. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks, Motion carried 3-0.
5. Treasurer Report –
6. Public Comment: - Still an issue with business at 875 Hwy 51, they are working all hours of the day and on weekends, also not cleaning up. Residents have spoken to owner of business and he says he can work seven days a week and any hours he wants. Owner of property has been reached also but not doing anything. Constable has also spoken to business owner with no positive outcome. Suggestions are, have owner of business & owner of property come to a meeting to discuss options, have attorney draft a letter, and see what happens with violation letters business owner has received. Would also like planning commission look into what CUP’s exist on property now that a different business is occupying the property.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Olson gave her Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve, Supervisor Jenks seconded. Motion carried 3-0
8. Road Crew: Have taken down 8 trees on Tower Drive. Making progress on cleaning up new park area. One of the trucks will need some repair work, do not know the cost as of yet.
9. Constable Report: While driving on Tower Drive came across 2 steers heading for Hwy 51, contacted owner of animals and he herded them back before they reached the Hwy. Talked to a homeowner on Westchester Cir who was very concerned about neighbor putting cut down trees on culvert, John also spoke to the property owner who cut down the trees. Outcome there was no danger to the culvert. Got address for residences that have too much stuff on their property. Chairman will draft a letter for the clerk to mail out to homeowners.
10. Plan Commission:
11. Rural Preservation Report: Deb W. stepped down so there are now two vacancies. Will need to put an ad on Facebook and in the HUB to try and fill the positions.
12. Parks Committee: They are happy with funds they will be receiving from budget. Are looking at products and coming up with a mission/vision statement.
13. Complaints: none
14. Unfinished Business:
a. Consider portion of Hanerville Road right-of-way width for adjacent Parcel #: 026/0511-352-8010-4, Chris Luzzio 249 Hanerville Road. Received e-mail from Chris asking if we could still keep on agenda.
b. ATV – Chair from Pleasant Springs called Chairman Monsen asking what Dunkirk is doing regarding ATV usage on roads. Will discuss with other towns at the Quad Towns meeting. We will pick a date at the next meeting in January.
14. New Business:
a. Adoption of Residential & Commercial Building codes – Still needs to be reviewed and will put on next meeting for approval.
b. Approval of Election workers list for 2024-2025 – List of poll workers was presented and Supervisor Olson made a motion to approve those on list, Supervisor Jenks seconded. Motion carried 3-0
c. Groundswell gathering 1/25/24
15. Future agenda items.
a. Ask Triangle Troopers to make presentation for updating the landscape gardens in front of Hall, suggest they have something put together for second meeting in January.
b. John Bothum presented his split plan, so board will need to approve when it has gone thru Planning Commission. Should be on last meeting in January’s agenda.
16. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:27 p.m. Supervisor Jenks seconded. Motion carried 3-0.
Kathy Olson, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills paid ledger
Copy of Agenda for December 18, 2023 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report
Copy of December 4, 2023 meeting minutes