Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
January 7, 2019
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte, Road Crew Foreman Mark Gretebeck and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. Supervisor Quam was absent. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge was led by Constable Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of December 17, 2018. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $31,518.02. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
5. Public Comment: None.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Smithback gave the treasurer's report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
7. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
8. Road Crew: None.
9. Constable Report: (1) Holte met up with Deputy Miller regarding the junk accumulation on County Highway N. There are multiple unlicensed vehicles, a trailer full of scrap, a semi trailer, a camper and junk stored outside. The Clerk will send a letter to the landowner and ask them to attend a meeting.
10. Purchase of Development Rights Report. The Committee continues to meet monthly and work towards the referendum at the April 2, 2019 election. The referendum language needs to be filed with the Dane County Clerk by January 22, 2019.
11. Complaints: None.
12. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on Town logo. The Town Board presented the logo ideas at the Town potluck. Supervisor Olson made a motion to adopt the agreed upon version of the logo. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0. Supervisor Olson stated a motion for the Clerk to purchase a Chamber gift certificate in the amount of $100. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
b. Discussion and necessary action on working with the Dane County Sheriff to provide additional patrol in the town. The Sheriff continues to
provide good service. Drivers continue to go through the intersection of Taylor and Hogie. The Constable will ask Deputy Miller to patrol that area, as well as Aaker and Danks Road. We also had a resident request for patrol at Sam Miles and Bass Lake Road between 2-5.
c. Discussion and necessary action on Brush Site Agreement with the City of Stoughton. Brett Hebert from the City of Stoughton provided a potential
lump sum concept. The Town had an average of 165 resident use. With being charged $25 per non-resident fee, the total annual cost to use the City Yardwaste Site would be $4,125.00. The Dunkirk Town staff could use the site as part of this fee as well. This document is a concept only plan and has not been approved by the City of Stoughton. Supervisor Olson stated the cost would be cheaper than the Town having to man their own brush site. Gretebeck stated this will not go forward until the Town gives the green light. Supervisor Olson requested the Clerk respond to Brett’s email asking him to get the ball rolling on the City.
13. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on resignation of Purchase of Development Rights Committee member. The Board received the resignation of Christopher Horton due to his inability to make the meetings. The Board directed the PDR Committee to find another member.
b. Discussion and necessary action on vacant homes/parcels in the Town. The Chairman received a complaint about a vacant home. The home that was in question was purchased.
14. Future Agenda Items. Approval of the language of the non-binding PDR referendum.
15. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:25 p.m. Motion was seconded by Chairman Monsen. Motion carried 2-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for January 7, 2019 meeting
Copy of Treasurer’s Report
Copy of Clerk’s Report