Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
May 20, 2019
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte, Road Crew Foreman Mark Gretebeck, and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge was led by Veteran Jack Lyon.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Daniel Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of May 6, 2019. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $12,710.19. Motion was seconded by Daniel Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: (1) Jack Lyon questioned whether there is any updates on broadband service. Chairman Monsen indicated there is money in the State budget but the budget has not been finalized. The Town will continue to monitor the situation and apply for any grants when available. (2) Clerk read the Commission on Aging Report provided by Jeanne Schwass-Long.
6. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Daniel Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Road Crew: (1) Work has begun on Bass Lake Road. (2) The cross conveyor that has been used on the orange truck for the last 20 years has rotted out. The estimated price to replace is $2,000. They will have Burke design one that can be utilized on all of the new trucks, instead of having one now that won’t be utilized after next year. (3) Mark spoke with Dane County Supervisor Bob Salov in the hopes of getting assistance to properly size large culverts for the County program. The County is unwilling to come out and size the culverts for the cost-sharing program. Mark has two large culverts to replace and doesn’t know whether he should contact an engineering firm. The Clerk will contact Kent Falligant and Wisconsin Towns to get names of engineering firms.
8. Constable Report: (1) Holte was contacted by Linda Altenberg whose was attacked by another dog when she was mowing her lawn. Ms. Altenberg could not identify the neighbor’s dog as being the one who attacked her dog. She did ask that the neighbors be contacted to advise them to keep their dogs off her property. (2) Holte was contacted by the lady who lives on Highway N and Marilyn. She too is having problems with the water accumulation and stated there is a pipe that runs to the river and wonders if it could be plugged. Holte advised he could not walk on their neighbor’s private property. (3) No action taken on the Brett Lunde home on Spring Road, as Holte is waiting for a phone call from Majid Allan at Dane County Zoning. (4) Dennis Hilgendorf, owner of Controlled Surface Finishing, Inc. and Alex Knudson were in attendance. Mr. Hilgendorf was served with a Summons and Complaint by the County of Dane due to junk accumulation at Alex’s residence. Mr. Hilgendorf provided a copy of the Conditional Use Permit that Alex filed in 2018, which was prepared by Roger Lane at the County. Alex has an auction set up for June 8, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. His plan is to sell most of the vehicles inside and out, and the larger items that Dane County is concerned about. Supervisor Jenks questioned how many vehicles are currently being stored outside and Alex advised ten vehicles total. Chairman Monsen stated Alex will have to return to the Plan Commission meeting on June 12, 2019, and Alex requested to be on the agenda. Chairman Monsen stated given that Dennis Hilgendorf and his company has been a good asset to the Town; given that Alex has done some clean up on the property; and given that the zoning was changed and outside vehicle storage of that many vehicles is not allowed, Chairman Monsen will contact the County and see if they can withdraw or suspend the Complaint. Supervisor Olson stated all vehicles but for three would have to be removed from the property by June 12, 2019.
9. Purchase of Development Rights Report. A meeting will be scheduled with Attorney Behling, Renee Lauber and the Board on June 3, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. to discuss funding.
10. Plan Commission Report. None.
11. Complaints: None.
12. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on working with the Dane County Sheriff to provide additional patrol in the town. The Sheriff continues to
provide good service. Highway N west of Washington Road around 3:30 p.m.
b. Discussion and necessary action on Brush Site Agreement with the City of Stoughton. The Clerk prepared the draft Brush Site Agreement.
Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the Brush Site Agreement. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
c. Discussion and necessary action on scheduling of Quad Towns Meeting. No action taken.
d. Review of Equipment Replacement Schedule and discussion of loan for 2020 truck. The Clerk provided the updated replacement schedule and loan
amortization schedules. The Board will review both documents and discuss at the next meeting. No action taken.
13. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on newsletter articles. Article deadline is the third week in June. Volunteers for the PDR committee. Article on the new
sign. Plowing snow in the road right-of-way. Fireworks sensitivity article.
14. Future Agenda Items. County culvert engineer.
15. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:10 p.m. Motion was seconded by Daniel Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for May 20, 2019 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report