Town of Dunkirk
Dane County, Wisconsin
Town Board Meeting Minutes
June 17, 2019
Dunkirk Town Hall
654 County Highway N
Chairman Monsen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Also present were Supervisor Ted Olson, Supervisor Daniel Jenks, Treasurer Bonnie Smithback, Constable Greg Holte, Road Crew member John Bothum, and Clerk Melanie Huchthausen. See attached sign-in sheet for others present.
1. Welcome and Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge was led by Constable Greg Holte.
2. Approval of Agenda. Supervisor Olson stated a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion was seconded by Daniel Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
3. Minutes: Chairman Monsen asked if everyone read the minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of June 3, 2019. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
4. Report on Bills: Supervisor Olson stated a motion to accept and approve the bills payable in the amount $25,363.56. Motion was seconded by Daniel Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
5. Public Comment: The Clerk commended the beautiful new Town sign.
6. Clerk's Report: Clerk Huchthausen gave the Clerk’s report, a copy of which is attached and made a part of these minutes. Supervisor Jenks stated a motion to approve the Clerk’s Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Olson. Motion carried 3-0.
7. Road Crew: (1) Bothum advised they have been fixing ditches. (2) Paving on Bass Lake and Taylor Lane is to take place tomorrow.
8. Constable Report: (1) Holte spoke with a Dane County Deputy regarding shots being fired near the dam and there was no report filed. (2) Last Wednesday he viewed Alex Knudson’s property prior to the Plan Commission meeting.
9. Purchase of Development Rights Report. The Town met with Attorney Behling, Renee Lauber and the Board on June 3, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. to discuss funding. The Clerk will schedule a bond company to come in and discuss options.
10. Plan Commission Report. The Commission had three petitions in front of them and two pre-application conferences. The first Petition was that of Controlled Surface Finishing. After discussing the Petition, Alex was instructed to clean up his property by June 17, 2019. He could have two vehicles without a CUP and get his money back, or speak with Dane County Zoning and amend the Petition. The Constable and Brett Olson from the Plan Commission viewed the property tonight. Holte stated Alex has made progress. However, there are four unlicensed vehicles and additional trailers remain on the property. There are items for sale on Highway 51 that did not sell at the auction. Falligant stated at the present time Alex is not in compliance with the current zoning ordinance. A hearing on the Summons and Complaint is scheduled for July 12, 2019. Alex will have to bring the property into compliance by July 10, 2019. No action was taken on the other two Petitions.
11. Complaints: None.
12. Unfinished Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on working with the Dane County Sheriff to provide additional patrol in the town. The Sheriff continues to
provide good service. Highway N west of Washington Road still needs additional partrol. Taylor Lane and the intersection of Oak Lawn Road needs to as well.
b. Discussion and necessary action on Brush Site Agreement with the City of Stoughton. The Clerk provided the revised Agreement from the City.
Supervisor Olson made a couple of changes and requested the Clerk forward it back to the City.
c. Review of Equipment Replacement Schedule and discussion of loan for 2020 truck. The Clerk provided the updated replacement schedule and loan
amortization schedules. A budget meeting was scheduled for Wednesday, June 19, 2019, at 10:00 a.m.
d. Discussion and necessary action on County aid for culvert replacement. No response has been received from Dane County Supervisor Bob Salov.
Kent Falligant will speak with his co-workers to determine the cost of any such work.
13. New Business:
a. Discussion and necessary action on long-term planning for road repairs. The Town Board viewed the roads with the Road Crew last week. There are nine
roads on the list that have serious damage. This matter will also be discussed at the meeting on Wednesday, June 19, 2019.
14. Future Agenda Items.
15. Adjournment: No further business, Supervisor Olson stated a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:55 p.m. Motion was seconded by Daniel Jenks. Motion carried 3-0.
Melanie Huchthausen, Clerk
List of attendees
Copy of Bills
Copy of agenda for June 17, 2019 meeting
Copy of Clerk’s Report